With the 31st January Self Assessment deadline on us, what better time for the scammers to try and work their magic?
Here is an example of one a client received earlier today.
Please be on your guard for scam emails. Things to look for:
- Check the sending address is a legitimate hmrc.gov.uk one
- Check any embedded links are hmrc.gov.uk URLs
- HMRC normally don’t send emails about claiming refund or updating details – so if you are asked to do this, be alert
- Check for strange use of English
- Compare what you are being promised to what you were expecting – if you weren’t expecting a refund of the amount quoted then that should alert you
If in doubt check with us or HMRC, and do not click links.