Following a recent court case, HMRC are now allowing the VAT input tax on entertaining overseas clients to be recovered, subject to a test of reasonableness. HMRC Brief 44/10 sets out more details, including how to correct for up to four years retrospectively.

Alas there is no vat relief for entertaining UK customers, and no tax relief (Income Ta / Corporation Tax) on either UK or overseas customer entertainment.