This Content Was Last Updated on November 5, 2015 by Jessica Garbett


If you have a company and some of the shares are in your spouses name – or for that matter any other family member, including common law partner or civil partner – then a reminder that your spouses share the dividends need to go on their tax return.

if they don’t receive a tax return from HMRC, and their income from all sources exceeds the Higher Rate threshold, or they have untaxed income, then they will need to notify HMRC of chargeability and request a return – we can do this for you on request, but beware we won’t always know your spouses circumstances so we cannot alert you automatically.