Trading Allowance £1,000

From April 2017 there is a £1,000 “Property and Trading Income Allowance” – in HMCs own words:

“The government announced at Budget 2016 the introduction of a £1000 allowance for property income and a £1000 allowance for trading income from the 2017 to 2018 tax year. The new allowances will mean that individuals with property income below £1000 or trading income below £1000 will no longer need to declare or pay tax on that income. Those with income above the allowance will be able to calculate their taxable profit either by deducting their expenses in the normal way or by simply deducting the relevant allowance from their gross income. Legislation will be introduced in Finance Bill 2017.” (source)

We’ve confirmed with HMRC that you have no obligation to register as Self Employed if your business turnover is less than £1,000 a year – this probably won’t help Yoga Teachers with regular classes as its only £20 a week – but if you just do a few covers or teach a single class for expenses only it may take you outside of tax.  It may also give you a years grace if you start teaching part way through a tax year, eg January.

Of more interest is that if your turnover is more than £1,000 a year, you can deduct the greater of £1,000 or your actual expenses.  So if you don’t have a large amount of expenses, this £1,000 minimum may be of interest.  Sole traders only, not partnerships and companies.

These new rules apply for the 17/18 tax year onwards.